Jul 2, 2015

I Thought You Were Dead by Pete Nelson book review

I Thought You Were DeadI Thought You Were Dead by Pete Nelson

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


After reading the first chapter of I Thought You Were Dead by Pete Nelson, I was ready to put it down and write a single word review of "crap."  Not one to give up so easily on a book, I decided to give it a quick scan to see if maybe I might have been to harsh....which, it appears I was.  I proceeded finish reading the whole book.

Basically the book is a coming-of-age novel....of a middle aged man.  The main character, Paul, deals with aging, the stroke of his father, his relationships with his brother and father, his failed marriage, his potential new love interest, his drinking and, finally, his dog, Stella. 

Though I believe that the author, Pete Nelson, wrote this with sincerity and the story seems well rounded and thought out...it reads like something you would shop around Hollywood.  I never became fully immersed in the lives of the characters, it seemed like it was following a formula and, overall, it felt very superficial.   Like a watered down version of Silver Linings Playbook. Sad..but there you have it.



View all my reviews

1 comment: