Jun 21, 2015

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

Where the Mountain Meets the MoonWhere the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Books were an integral part of my childhood.  Raised in a television free home, I spent most of my time reading.  Not just for entertainment...books were how I learned about people, the world, right and wrong, good and evil.  I loved myths and fairy tales. Books such as Aesop's Fables, the Brothers Grimm, the Chronicles of Narnia, Pippi Longstocking, the Wizard of Oz and Winnie the Pooh (just to name a VERY few) helped shape the "grown-up" me.  I would have loved Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin.

Mixing fantasy with Chinese folklore, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, tells the story of Minli, a young Chinese girl. She lives in a poor village underneath a stark mountain and every day her mother expresses her discontent. Inspired by her fathers stories, Minli sets out to find the Old Man of the Moon to ask him how to change their fortune. Along her journey she meets many different characters who help her and hears many new stories. The structure is great....lots of little stories within the main tale.  Weaving fables and folklore into a new and original tale. At first I thought it a bit simple..then I began reading through the eyes of a child and I was very impressed.  Grace Lin has crafted a wonderful, beautifully written tale.

As a children's book..I highly recommend Where the Mountain Meets the Moon.



View all my reviews

1 comment: